Friday 29 May 2015

Inspiration: Friendship

“Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: "What! You too? I thought that I was the only one"”

C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves

I'm honored to have friendships locally and globally that were birthed in this way. I have people with whom I have shared sorrows and struggles, fears and failures, joy and jubilation. And deep bonds of love have grown out of that honesty.

Created to live in community, us humanoids have such capacity for careless generosity. It's only when we give of ourselves do we become richer in friendship. As we tell our stories our shame and disappointments lose some of their sting and hold as we hear others say, "What! You too? I thought that I was the only one." It's there that we find a new way to be at home with the world and ourselves.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment