Monday 10 August 2015

Home & healing

I've one of those annoying sore throats - dry, aching, hard to swallow, husky, quiet voice throats. It came on me last night after church, by bedtime I was reduced to a muted whisper. So to fight this thing off I engaged an arsenal of paracetamol (like Tylenol but better!) and hot honey and lemon tea. Then I gargled with TCP (a mild antiseptic) and luke-warm water, before taking a dose of black elderberry Sambucol. This sore throat doesn't stand a chance.

Half of this sickness fighting force I brought from Northern Ireland. Even though we've lived in America for over 4 years when I get sick I look to home for the healing. I know there are some great drug products here - like Neosporin - an amazing topical antibiotic cream that heals draws out infection and heal wounds SO fast! But I trust products that have worked for me in the past especially when my decision making skills are impaired by sickness.

It got me thinking about the importance of home in our healing process. It is where we go to recuperate; lick our wounds; rest or hide under the covers of our own bed until we muster the energy to come out.  We all need spaces and people to be this 'home' in our sickness assailed lives. We've got to know where we can go when our hearts, minds and spirits are dry, achy and husky.

In the midst of seeking the comfort and familiarity needed to get better there's a danger that the tried and tested healers might not do the job this time round. It's hard but sometimes we need different salves for new or old ailments. Don't limit how you can be healed.

I'm off to put the kettle on and get a cuddle from The Beloved - that is one tried and tested healer that will always help me feel better. Happy healing!

3 comments:

  1. Still under the weather but soldiering on - not a lot of choice with a 20 month toddler! Hope you're well and your boys were successful at the weekend!

    ReplyDelete