Wednesday 24 June 2015

Grow what you can, not what you can't

So I can grow this ....

 This ....
 And this ....
But when it comes to orchids I always end up with this ....

Oh dear. Yep I'm a serial orchid killer. No matter where I put them, how much I water or don't water them, they never flourish under my care. What the heck?

Having just read the WikiHow page on 'How to care for orchids' I think I've overwatered this one (and all the others I've killed). They seem so terribly temperamental. This much light, this much moisture ... not too much now!

I've seen the orchid display the United States Botanic Gardens - this is how they can look:



I guess I should play to my strengths and leave the orchids to the experts. It's such a life lesson - run the race set before you with the gifts and talents you been given. Nurture the tender plants that you've been entrusted with then beauty will flourish all around you. 

1 comment:

  1. We have been less than successful with orchids in the past (including when we lived in the DC area), but recently, after my friend, Patricia, gave us all of her orchids when she moved to NC, we put them in the backyard, hanging from our bamboo. Voile! We now have the right environment:). So it's not all your fault:).

    ReplyDelete