Monday 15 June 2015

Welcome Home!

My fabulous husband cared for Miss O for four days last week while I headed south to Key West with three girlfriends. He's a star! We talked every day and Miss O's wee voice on the phone brought me such happiness and ache all at once. Each day The Beloved sent cheesy pictures of Miss O smiling Good Morning  - what simple, precious treasures.

It was great to be away from my normal routine of early mornings, stop times, nap times, bath times. To not have to keep an eye on the clock to make sure the ravenous or exhausted beast didn't rise up was liberating. But I really missed my wee family and our intimate routine.

Miss O was in bed when I got home late last night so when she stirred this morning and shouted her usual wake-up call of "Haawoooahh" up I shot, even if it was 6.30am! A soon as she saw me there were squeals of laughter and excitement and a very, very long hug when I picked her up. Boy, that was good for the soul!

It's amazing how much an 18 month old can change in 4 days. She has new words - bath, cookie and ready (Daddy clearly kept her clean and fed and on the go!). She sings along to more of the words of My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean and she's had new adventures of sofa running and inspecting dog poo. Miss O has also decided that "Peppa Pease" is a great sentence for getting another episode of her favorite show Peppa Pig - it's very, very hard to resist.

If The Beloved told me once how he was glad I was home, he told me six times! I knew today that they had missed me and that our home wasn't complete with one of us away. The challenge for me will be to remember the sense of confident, peaceful, belonging when the novelty of being back together wears off. With the only breath I have being the one I just took, I hope I can remember daily the joy of missing and being welcomed home.


No comments:

Post a Comment