Friday 24 July 2015

Dislocation ... again

Tomorrow is the big move although we got the keys to our new home this morning. As we leave one place and nest in another this is our fifth home in 5 years. Perhaps we'll get to stay a while.

Moving house always stirs the emotions we experienced when we left Northern Ireland and moved to Virginia in November 2010. Below is an extract from a blog post I wrote the month we arrived in the New World.

"Parting is such sweet sorrow ... and taking off from Belfast International, I watched the Welcome to Belfast sign for as long as possible, holding on to the lasting impressions from the hugs of my family and friends.

I thought I'd settle myself into the new life with a manicure in Newark airport - well a girl has to look the part. However, I was confronted in my chillaxing with the wall reminder that:

                                   Every single one of us, at various times, 
          finds ourselves forced to endure a situation we probably wouldn't choose.

What a leveler. It's easy to be so fixated on our own journeys that we become numb to the travels of our fellow passengers. How many people have been displaced since Richard and I accepted the opportunity to move to Washington? 


I've been thinking a lot about dislocation - the process or result of things not being where they should be; life not being the way it was supposed to be. Or the reality that at various points in all our lives God uproots us - physically, emotionally, spiritually - and sets us somewhere else. Sometimes He is gentle with us, wooing and cajoling us along; other times he sends a whirlwind because He's maybe struggling to get our attention or maybe just because....

I'm hoping that my dislocation breeds compassion for my fellow travellers who are all in varying stages of being picked up and set-down somewhere else."



No comments:

Post a Comment