Friday 3 July 2015

Lesser spotted mercies

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; 
they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:22-23 (ESVUK)

Some days you get a fresh insight into a familiar scripture. Yesterday was such a day. 

Picture the scene: Miss O and I called into CVS pharmacy to get some bits and bobs after music class. Unusually I'd put O in the stroller rather than a shopping cart. She's 23lbs and as I'd had 2 hours of chiropractic treatment on Wednesday morning which left my back and shoulder strapped and my whole body with I've-been-run-over aches and pains; the idea of carrying her across the parking lot was unappealing. We meander round the store, she has a mini capnap, then we checkout with a delightful bundle of extra-care vouchers saving us $11. Happy days.

As we cross the parking lot I start zapping the car with the keyfob to spring it into life. Nothing happens. I try again. Zero. I head round to the drivers side to stick the key in the door and there's no key hole. Not good. I said 'flip' ... or words to that effect. Miss O starts to cry, I wanted to join her. I called The Beloved. He was in the dentist's chair getting a crown and filling - useless. I said 'flip' again.  With little other choice, I steeled myself, bribed Miss O with a sandwich and walked home.
 
How was this anything to do with God's love and mercy? Locked out of my car with ravenous crying wet-bummed toddler and an aching body?
 
Here were my lesser spotted mercies:
- We were just over a mile from home. I had considered heading to Target rather than CVS. Walking home from Target would not have been an option.
 
- Thanks to recent storms the weather was unseasonably cool and cloudy with light rain coming and going. Walking home last week when the heat index was 103 would not have been an option. 

- O was in her stroller not my arms. Walking home inevitably carrying Miss O with a strapped back and shoulder would not have been an option.

These mercies are small yet they meant that this situation was annoying rather than disastrous. It challenged me to not get knocked off my feet by curve balls but to look for the mercies that are already there. I think these lesser spotted mercies are God's way to show off His creative, practical, inventive character in new ways every day. 

Can't wait to see what He has in store for me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment