Tuesday 28 July 2015

Love and Marriage: Kindness

Thanks to an amazing gang of friends our house move and the pre-painting adventures all went swimmingly well. We are SO thankful!!

Unfortunately Miss O caught a summer cold at the end of last week and by Sunday morning there was snot everywhere and one very unhappy baby. Given that one of the great gifts of family life is One Up All Up, we're all exhausted.

I don't know about you but I am a grump when I'm tired. My fuse is short and my tongue is sharp. It's really not pretty. The Beloved, he goes quiet but with the potential to be patronizing and Miss O shouts at anything and everything and wants to watch Peppa Pig all day. It can all be a lethal combination!

It seems that at such times affection, romance, adoration take a vacation. There's no heady rush of hormones that scrambled your lovestruck brain to keep you choosing your spouse. In fact it's probable that you won't like them very much at all when you are both exhausted and not acting nor looking your best.

This is when we must cultivate the habit of kindness. We get to practice taking a breath to stop us speaking harshly or carelessly. We get to consider the Other's feelings as well as our own. We get to recall that our Beloved's entrusted their tender hearts to us and we must hold it like water.

My prayer is that kindness is my daily habit - because I know I'll have many more opportunities to choose to be kind to The Beloved!

No comments:

Post a Comment